LLTI Archives

August 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:24:33 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: DVD Moves to a New Level with Disney's Announcement
>Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:52:44 -0600

DVD is about to move to new heights with Disney's announcement of the
release of 10 of their animated titles in the new format.

A few excerpts from the 17 August Wall Street Journal:

"Disney has long resisted putting its animated movies on DVD, because the
digital format is relatively new and many of the early users have been
adults. But now, "we're a hair breadth away from DVD exploding," says
Michael Eisner, Disney's chairman and chief executive."

"By moving aggressively to DVD now, Disney also is betting the viewing
habits of today's kids aren't the same as their older siblings' or parents',
and don't necessarily involve a television. In addition to DVD viewers who
use players hooked into their TV sets, many young computer users don't seem
to mind watching movies on a computer monitor, using a DVD-ROM drive."

"DVD-ROM sales are rising fast, with about 20 million units sold so far and
tens of millions more expected in the next few years. "People underestimate
the installed base of DVD," Mr. Staggs says."

There was also an article in USAToday.

Also see http://www.dvdinsider.com/news/database/view.asp?ID=837

The films will each include foreign language tracks

Cheers,

Mike
Michael Bush
Associate Professor of French and