LLTI Archives

August 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 16:49:23 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Kathleen Ford <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:58:20 -0700
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Kathleen Ford <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Kathleen Ford's IALL 99 presentation

To my IALL colleagues:

I'm very grateful for all the favorable comments and helpful feedback that so many of you provided on my presentation at the conference in June. In fact, I am still receiving kudos and requests; I'm amazed at its "staying power!"

Knowing that my handout wouldn't serve as much more than a cryptic reminder, I blithely prefaced my talk in Maryland with the offer to put the entire PowerPoint presentation up on the web. Well..., with 36 slides and 21 audio files, that has turned out to be much easier said than done, but I will spare you the details.

Here's what we can offer for those of you who have expressed interest in any or all of the following.
(1)  my conference presentation
(2)  the UCLA Media Lab Employment Application
(3)  Quick Post, the UCLA Media Lab's FileMaker Pro application

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1)  my conference presentation, Creating a Culture of Ownership with a Suite of Tools for Staff Development

Requirements:

Apple Macintosh computer
Microsoft PowerPoint or PowerPoint Viewer
Any web browser
Fairly quick internet connection
Aladdin Stuffit Expander 5.0 or higher

Annotated Instructions:

1.  Using your browser, go to ftp://164.67.141.31/Pub/iall/.
There are 3 options: ".sit" and ".sea" archives and a folder of uncompressed files. Navigator works best with the ".sit" version; Internet Explorer should work with either archived version.
(WARNING: The archive files are about 40MB and will take ~5 min. via T1, ~15 min via T3, and 3-4 hrs via modem.)

2.  When the transfer is finished, open Stuffit Expander and decompress the file into the folder of your choice.
(NOTE: The uncompressed version is approx. 60MB.)

3.  Double click IALL-presentation.ppt to start.
(NOTES: [1] Ignore Far East text warning. [2] May need to increase memory allocated to PowerPoint to ~25MB.)

It's best to see and hear the presentation with "Slide View" or "Slide Sorter View," but "Notes Page View" will help make sense of each slide's content and the audio files.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(2)  the UCLA Media Lab Employment Application

If you'd like a copy, send an email directly to me ([log in to unmask]); I'll reply with the form as a MS Word attachment.

(3)  Quick Post, the UCLA Media Lab's FileMaker Pro application

We've been fortunate to learn from some thoughtful pioneers -- especially Ruth Trometer -- and we want to return the favors and help others to avoid reinventing the wheel. We're working to provide a fully functional, interactive example, but we need to modify some scripts to replace personal information and passwords. Then we need to find the proper place for it on a server here at UCLA.

If you would like to be notified when the sample application is available for download (end of August, we expect), send a note to me directly ([log in to unmask]).

(NOTES: We are providing the current version of the application only. Feel free to adopt or adapt the scripts. We can not answer questions or provide technical support.)

There you go. Thanks again for all your words of appreciation and encouragement. If, in turn, our work inspires you to create something useful, we hope you'll share, too!

  --Kathleen