LLTI Archives

August 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:08:13 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Mulford <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:45:16 -0400
>From: David Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      South American Satellite Question
>To: [log in to unmask]
>cc: David Mulford <[log in to unmask]>

Hello again,

It has been at least 3 years that I've been away from this list and It's
good to be back! For those of you who know me I was the language learning
lab supervisor at Kenyon College in OH until becoming Director of Media
Services at Roanoke College in VA.

I've checked the archives, but can't find any specifics to my question:
Is anyone receiving any South American spanish language programming via
satellite?  By this I mean, not using SCOLA, and the broadcasts would be in
the clear, C band or Ku band.  Our location is east coast, mid-atlantic.

My lab supervisor here doesn't know much about satellite programming, and
so far doesn't have the budget for a SCOLA subscription.  She used a good
amount of programming from the Morelos satellite, but I understand that
Morelos has been superseded by Satmex 5.  I see that Satmex 5 has a much
higher power and footprint than Morelos did, but so far I can't determine
any programming information or find the "bird" with our Chaparrel 100C
reciever.

Any leads to programming would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

David Mulford
Director Media Services
Roanoke College