LLTI Archives

August 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:08:11 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
> when I play the mpg video on a Pentium
> (200MHz/48MB) computer, the playback lost a lot of frames

I am assuming that you are talking about MPEG 1. This is a combined problem
of the number of pixels encoded (you do not say), PC (RAM, clock speed, and
even perhaps hard drive speed) AND the software decoder. Some decoders work
better than others on less powerful machines.

I have gotten nice results for MPEG 1 encoded at 320 x 240, 30 fps, using
Windows Media Player on a PC with 64 MB running at 200MHz.

Cheers,

Mike
Michael Bush
Associate Professor of French and