LLTI Archives

August 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:24:26 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Robert Smitheram) ---

[log in to unmask] (Donald K. Wagner)writes:
>When using the Simplified Input method, after selecting the simplified
>chinese keyboard, and the ABC standard pen, (using the Simplified Chinese
>Simpletext) the cursor does match the location of the Chinese characters in
>the text, making highlighting and editing nearly impossible.

>Also, I have to press RETURN twice, then DELETE for the chinese characters
>to set on their text line.

There are two issues here; one has to do with some extensions incompatibility and/or font problems, and the other has to do with the input method itself. I take the latter first.

To type Chinese in the ABC method: 1) Type your pinyin for the first character; 2) press the space bar or number to select that character. At this point you will be offered characters that go with your first selection; you can select from those characters
by pressing a number key or the space bar (for the first one); OR if you want to get an entirely new character, just type some new pinyin, this will clear away the character selection palette and you continue by going back to step 2.

There is some WorldScript incompatibility from CLK 2.0 to MacOS 8.5; to overcome this; use the MacOS 8.5 installation disk and go to custom install and select the Multilingual Internet Access at the bottom of the list (turn everything else off). You can
use popup there to select which languages you want to install. This gives you all the updated extensions for WorldScript, new bit-mapped fonts, and probably a new script for Chinese.

What I generally do is install the Multilingual Internet Access stuff first (you have to manually go in and check this item as it is not part of the default installation of the OS). Then install CLK 2.0 on top of that to get the TT fonts and input methods
(these are not included in Multilingual Internet Access install), always clicking "Newer" when the CLK install notices that some components have already been installed.

There is a more serious font problem with the CLK that I have heard about but this occurs with MacOS 8.6 and Apple is aware of this, see:

http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/8f865a2f87f25f04862566b20056f43d/0f8bf2
abef23fe38862567b7005b46c8?OpenDocument>

Good luck!

Robert

--
Center for Educational Technology
Middlebury College - Middlebury VT 05753