LLTI Archives

August 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:05:56 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:17:25 -0400
>Subject: I-Macs as main LLearning Center platform

Friends:

Although the American University Language Resource Center has almost as many
Wintel PCs as Macs,  our "classroom computer center" is a Mac environment.  We
are going to purchase 21 new desktops and a server for that "classroom" space in
the near future.

We are vacillating between I-Macs and wintels.

We like the consistency, and true plug-and-play characteristics of the Macs.  We
dislike that in our experience, identical wintel machines can behave
differently, (eg sound).  Our university  is withdrawing support from Macs and,
we're seeing more and more new students who are familier with wintels, and not
with Macs.

We've experienced most wintel and Power-Mac (individual and network) problems,
but the I-Mac, although an  enticing network connector and web surfer, is new.

Can anyone share anecdotes with us that would help our comparitive assessment of
I-Macs and wintels.

I heard at a meeting today that a lot of folk are having, or have had problems
with  I-Macs, and we would sure like to know your experience with them,
particularly if wintel comparative.

Your help, advice, etc. is gratefully solicited...

Bill Caldwell
LFS/LRC
American University
Washington, DC