LLTI Archives

August 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:36:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Beth Ohmer <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Beth Ohmer <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: digitized audio cassettes

After talking with several people and attending Otmar's presentation at
IALL in Maryland I was inspired to investigate the possibility of
digitizing textbook publisher's "lab tapes" to try to reduce the volume of
tapes we copy.

I've determined that we have file server space and that the campus
intranet can handle it.  Faculty and students I've mentioned this to are
all excited. I'm ready to start digitizing! But before I (or my student
staff) spend hours and hours digitizing and compressing I thought I'd
check to see who has done what and what they're willing to share and/ or
trade.

I have a link to Curtis Broderick's old web page listing cassette series
that have been digitized but it seems that several of those are outdated
editions.  Does anyone know of a current list or database?

If one doesn't exist I'm certainly willing to try to keep track.  If you
have digitized cassettes that you're willing share let me know and I'll
start a list.

And if anyone has any tips, tricks, suggestions or advice on digitizing,
compression schemes, delivery formats, or getting permission from
publishers please pass those along, too!

Beth

Beth Ohmer                      Language Learning Resources
[log in to unmask]               Lewis & Clark College
phone (503) 768-7419            0615 SW Palatine Hill Rd.
fax (503) 768-7434              Portland, OR  97219, USA