LLTI Archives

August 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 16:25:33 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: Subject:   Further Question    RE: #5099.2 avi-files and a remark
>Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:41:56 -0600

Greetings from France!

You need to be careful on the hard drive thing, but mainly on playback. I
have a Pinnacle Systems miroVideo DC 30 Plus that works pretty well.  Even
with the right encoding card, however, you still need to also worry about
the harddrive issue.

Our system has the fast EIDE drive that came with the Dell 450 MHz Dimension
system, It spins at 7200 RPM and works pretty well on encoding, but on
playback, when I want to encode directly onto videotape, it will go into the
standard EIDE re-calibration mode and cause the video to stop.  The problem
is more the EIDE than the spin speed.  Pinnacle has told me that we really
need a SCSI-2, also turning fast with DMA.
Cheers,

Mike Bush
Associate Professor of French and
Instructional Psychology and Technology