LLTI Archives

August 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 16:25:27 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Wohr <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 09:31:01 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: David Wohr <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5133 PAL conversion tape length question

------------------
Ursula,

The Op Manual for Panasonic's AG-W1 lists the following tape speeds:

NTSC/M-PAL format
  SP  -  33.35 mm/sec
  SLP - 11.12 mm/sec

PAL/N-PAL
  SP  -  23.39 mm/sec
  LP  -  11.7 mm/sec

SECAM
  SP  -  23.39 mm/sec
  LP  -  11.7 mm/sec

Doing the math, the conversion factor is about 1.43
a T-120 will give you about 171 minutes in PAL
an E-180 will run about 125 minutes in NTSC format.

Hope this helps, gotta trim the sheets and head up-wind.

Dave

At 03:37 PM 8/4/99 -0400, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:21:16 -0500
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>From: Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: PAL conversion tape length question
>
>Must be the Dog Days; I actually find time to ponder this:
>
>When converting video from PAL to NTSC, I have noticed that, while the
>length of time is the same (of course) the amount of tape needed is not.
>It's usually a guessing game, and if I run out of NTSC tape, I just insert
>another cassette. Most people don't mind this, but I'd rather be able to
>figure it out ahead of time. Also, it seems that people bring me 180
>"minute" PAL tapes. I don't know how long these tapes would run on NTSC.
>(It's a little confusing because tape length is conventionally measured in
>time rather than feet, yards, meters or inches. Conversant with IPS speeds
>for reel-to-reel tapes (UGH!) I am, alas, not familiar with the IPS, FPS,
>or MPS of video tapes.
>
>Anybody got a formula? Anybody willing to come up with one, while sipping a
>daiquiri and dangling your feet over a dock?
>

>PS: I don't like to use the fail-safe of EP record speed because of the
>downgrade in quality of the copy.
>
>PPS: Of course I don't convert copyrighted tapes, Lynne!<smirk>
>
>Ursula

David L. Wohr                                   [log in to unmask]
Director
Language Laboratory                     610-660-1837
Saint Joseph's University
5600 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA  19131-1395

"Wem Gott will rechte Gunst erweisen
 Den schickt er in die weite Welt."             Eichendorff