LLTI Archives

August 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 16:25:25 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Francois Crompton-Roberts <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Francois Crompton-Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:01:47 +0000
>Subject: Re: #5133 PAL conversion tape length question

> When converting video from PAL to NTSC, I have noticed that, while
> the length of time is the same (of course) the amount of tape needed
> is not.

How strange. That would imply that the tape is actually moving past
the head at a different speed. Is this possible? PAL, being a German
standard, might be defined for 50Hz AC perhaps, whereas NTSC would be
60Hz? Is the difference as much as 20%?

Cheers

Francois C-R