LLTI Archives

July 1999, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:40:21 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:57:31 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Eritrea boasts best lab installation in the country

Hello LLTI friends and colleagues

I've just returned from 5 weeks in Eritrea (Horn of Africa), where I helped
put in a beautiful new Tandberg Prisma language lab, 30 positions, plus a
small computer lab for management training, plus a support office with
production equipment and well-outfitted repair bench.

I'm now recruting native speakers for the teaching positions - 2 or 3 -
and am hoping to find people with really good lab experience to boot.
If you know anyone who might be interested - and available to fly
off in September, please pass the info along.

The requirements (MA in English, TEFL or related field, plus at least
5 years teaching English in a university setting) will be followed
quite strictly by the President of the Univ of Asmara, which administrates
this program.

Hope you are all well. I'm off on an actual DO NOTHING vacation, happily!
Back 8/16.

best
bruce

Positions are available for 2-3 full-time English language teachers at the
Eritrean Institute for Management, Embatkala, Eritrea, in September 1999.

Requirements:
- native speakers of English
- Masters degree in TEFL, TESOL or related field
- five years teaching experience in a university setting
- experience with instructional technology (computer-aided
             language instruction; video; audio; multimedia)

Terms:
Salary range (depending on qualifications)
       US $650-$750 per month, tax free.
On-campus housing included.
Transportation to and from Eritrea (1 RT ticket) included.
Two year contract is typical; one year may be negotiated.

Submit CV and letter of interest by email to
If possible, send attachments as MS Word documents;
otherwise identify which application you used.

Hiring decisions will be made in conjunction with the
President of the Univ of Asmara, Dr. Wolde-Ab Yisak.

Classes are expected to start at end of September; teaching staff
is expected to be on site several weeks prior to the start of
classes. There is a full-time Computer Systems Manager position
at EIM which we expect will be filled by an Eritrean returning
in September from training abroad.

Background:
The Eritrean Institute of Management (EIM) is a small residential campus
established in 1994 as a training site for civil servants taking short term
management courses.  An English language training component is being added
for September'99. Recent renovations to EIM have increased capacity to
about 200 trainees, up to half of whom may participate in the English
program. Curriculum objectives have been written but syllabi and lesson
plans have not. There is a good library of EFL materials, with selections
of texts for in-class grammar work and various other texts emphasizing a
four-skills approach. Related audio programs and a half dozen excellent
language software programs are also available. There is very little material
on videotape, but there is a camera and lots of blank videotape. There is no
internet access in Eritrea. There is a satellite dish in the nearby Conference
Hall (currently under renovation).

A state-of-the-art Tandberg Prisma language lab has been installed, with
analog audio and video capability and 30 networked IBM PCs. Classes of 30
will be held in the lab, rotating into two 15-seat language classrooms in
a nearby building, for conversation and small group practice. Each teacher
will have a graduate assistant (Eritrean) assigned to assist with class
preparations, lab work and related duties. This is the only lab of its kind
in the country. The first year will undoubtedly involved lots of on-the-job
training for all.

Embatkala is a small, peaceful town located on the road between the capital
city Asmara and the Red Sea port city of Massawa. It lies 35 km northeast of
Asmara: roughly one hour's drive. The main road is well maintained but not
without its hazards.  The altitude drops approx 2,400 ft over the stretch
from Asmara to Embatkala; consequently the road has many blind curves and
hairpin turns. The EIM campus is like a retreat: quiet and beautiful, a
conducive place for work and study.

Eritrea and Ethiopia are currently engaged in a border war which is contained
in the disputed areas along the southern border between the two countries.
For US citizens there are travel warnings for Eritrea but no prohibitions
except for children of federal employees. A good internet site with
information about Eritrea is           http://www.eritrea.org/

Thank you for your interest.  I look forward to hearing from you again.

Bruce Parkhurst
(Project Consultant)
Director, Geddes Language Center
Boston University,
725 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston MA  02215 USA
tel 617 353-2640
FAX 617 353-2519
email [log in to unmask]

PS I look forward to hearing from you.  I'm off on a working vacation
mid-week, so please use email as that is the only route I can follow
while on the road.