LLTI Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:18:51 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:55:14 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5106 Alms...

------------------
Ed,

Sorry to say, I could be classed as an even more cold-hearted, tight-fisted
hand at the grindstone than yourself.  Our lab has a very, very limited
student budget and I hire only work study.  (We pay only 25% of their
salaries.)  The students start at minimum wage (egad!) and after they
finish the training program they get a 50 cent raise.  I have one student
who functions as a trainer and she gets $6.50 an hour. Last year I had
thirteen workers.

Do I feel guilty?  Quack!  I mean, no, this is the easiest job on campus
and I get droves of kids looking for my meager paying jobs in the fall.  I
figure if they wanted more $, they could work in our receiving dept making
deliveries or in Networking pulling line.

Mary "Scrooge McDuck" Fetherston

Mary Fetherston
Interim Supervisor, Language Lab
University of Rhode Island
60 Upper College Road, Suite 3
Kingston, RI 02881
401-874-4719, fax 401-874-4694
email: [log in to unmask] (but the old ones will still work!)