LLTI Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:18:24 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: DVD Regionalization in France
>Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:43:09 -0600

------------------
DVD Regionalization rears its ugly head...

Well, here I sit with egg quite unattractively visible all over my face!

So now I know!  Last year I wrote here some well-reasoned arguments why
European video distributors would NOT regionalize their products (Why would
they be so foolish as to limit a product to such a small market?!?!).
Nevertheless, here I am on my way back to the store here in Bordeaux,
France, hoping that customer service will allow me to return the two DVDs I
purchased just two short hours ago. I had thought (How silly of me!!?!) that
even with the Region 2 bit set, I should be able to play the discs on our
Toshiba Tecra 750DVD.

I am working to find out where the code is set for PCs: on the DVD-ROM drive
itself or in the software player.

I just thought you might like to know.

Cheers,

Mike Bush