LLTI Archives

July 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:01:25 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Filip Seuntjens <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:11:53 +0200
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Filip Seuntjens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: avi-files and a remark

------------------
Hello,

All Dutchspeaking schools in Brussels work with a multimedia authoring tool
called ACE. It looks a lot like the product Robert Fischer presented at
IALL99. In addition to that, it mophologically analyses all texts that are
imported, i.e. the tool gives one or more labels to each word.
Thanks to this analysis, you can ask ACE to select all verbs in the simple
past and replace them by the infinitive (between brackets), select all
nouns in the plural, all words that don't belong to the list of 2000 most
frequently used words,....
Drill and kill, but useful if you watch out for an overdose.

You can integrate bmp-, wav- and avi-files in the exercise and you can also
insert other files that will be opened in a browser-window (html, gif,..).
With some creativity, very interesting exercises can be generated.

I do have a problem, though. I can record wav-files, scan bmp-files, or
find a lot of interesting material on the web. I also looked for avi-files
on the web, but I dare not mention what I found (quantity was not the
problem!).
Does anybody know where I can find "usable" avi-materials? Is it possible
to convert other video-formats (mpeg, quicktime, ...) into avi and how do I
do that? What do yo need to create avi-files?

And now the remark: In June I attended IALL99. After a couple of Eurocall
and other conferences in Europe, I found this to be very refreshing and
stimulating. Unfortunately I couldn't attend all the sessions I wanted due
to sickness. But I'm very satisfied with what I saw and heard. New faces,
new ideas, same problems, same concern. I will definitely try and be there
in 2001.

Keep up the good work and enjoy your vacation,

Filip

Filip Seuntjens
Bits" (Brusselse Impuls voor Technologie en Software op School)
http://bop.vgc.be
Vlaamse Gemeenschapscommissie   Directie Onderwijs
Technologiestraat 1             1082 Brussel
tel: 02/482.00.78               fax: 02/482.00.82