LLTI Archives

July 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:52:42 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 13:50:55 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: salary range request followup

Many thanks to those of you who sent me information on potential salary
ranges for an "operations director" type position.  I may not be successful
in getting Human Resources to change their minds on the salary for our Asst
Director position, but it won't be for lack of evidence.

[The general consensus was that a job of this type would pay anywhere from
$27,000 to $45,000+.  I have not included more specifics here because many
people requested that their answers remain confidential.]

I got some great information on job descriptions as well, which leads me to
a question:  has anyone ever considered making a database of language
technology job descriptions? (indexed by duties, type of institution, etc;
don't have to be identified by name necessarily). Seems like it might be a
useful resource for language departments or information technology units,
as well as a good point of reference for people like me who know the field
well but would like some comparison points when creating new positions.
Or/additionally, it would be useful for people like me who need to convince
dept chairs & senior administrators that new positions of this type deserve
appropriate salaries.  I know IALL has kept up with job announcements, but
I'm wondering about actual job descriptions, beyond what was included in
the Management Manual....

Samantha

Samantha Earp
Director, Language Resource Center
Dept. of Languages and Culture Studies
University of North Carolina - Charlotte
Charlotte, NC  28223

phone: (704) 510-6876      fax:      (704) 547-3496
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]