LLTI Archives

July 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 08:36:44 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Ed Dente <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:41:09 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Ed Dente <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Alms...
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
The small group of mendicants, dressed in the only rags their meager
incomes allowed, hollow-eyed and gaunt with lack of food, faces downcast,
but emboldened by their dire circumstances huddled around me, weakly
chanting, "Sir, can you spare alms for the needy? Please help us..."

I was backed into the corner of my office by the group. I did the only
thing I could think of, answering them softly,
 "I'm sorry, but that's all my budget will allow me to pay all you
student assistants. There's nothing I can do. Believe me, this is the
prevailing wage for student assistants. I'll get in trouble w/ my
colleagues in IALL if I try to raise your pay any higher."

"But how will we survive on your measly wages of $6.00 per hour to start
and going up only to $6.60 after three semesters?" they weakly asked.
"We really believe that other labs pay their students much, much more than
that."

"But", I replied, "your fellow student assistant, the student supervisor,
gets $8.00 per hour".

"She should get $16.00 an hour for trying to put together each semester's
schedule for 20 assistants", they shouted, even more emboldened. "Tell us
right now what other labs pay their assistants so that we can really know
where we stand OR WE'RE WALKING!" (I think they meant to the dining hall
kitchen dishwashing detail, where they can make a heck of a lot more than
from me.)
Encouraged by the strength of their argument, they shouted in unison,
"SHOW US THE MONEY!"

Hmmm. Embarrassed as I am to admit that this is what I pay our
student assistants, ($6.00 to start, $6.60 tops)I would like to know how
close to the bottom this is in comparison with other labs whose directors
are more humanitarian than I. So, if it isn't asking too much of my
colleagues, what is the "prevailing wage" for student assistants? I
promise to compile the responses. That is, if I can fight my way out of
the corner of my office.
Cheers,
Ed "Scrooge" Dente

       "Vendetta ti chiedo,