LLTI Archives

July 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:48:47 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:17:01 -0600
>From: Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5082 MPEG 1 & 2 encoding for PCs
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I have had good luck on my desktop system (Dell 450 MHz Pentium II) doing
MPEG 1 using a miroVideo DC30Plus from Pinnacle Systems [See:
http://www.pinnaclesys.com ]. I selected it based on very positive reviews
in PC Magazine. They have talked about MPEG 2 and now have a DVD authoring
solution. I am not sure where they are on MPEG 2 encoding alone. Using that
system and Adobe Premiere, combined with Adaptec Easy CD Creator Deluxe, I
am able to make Video CDs that play on our Pioneer DVD V7200 DVD player when
encoded onto CD-RW.

I have also been working with Spruce Technologies (DVDMaestro) to do our
first DVD (the Italian film classic, "C'eravamo tanto amati"). We used their
encoder card (MPEGXpress 2000) for the MPEG 2 encoding with very nice
results. [See: http://www.spruce-tech.com/]

Cheers,

Mike
Michael Bush