LLTI Archives

July 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:49:04 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 07:57:05 -0600
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: videolinguist and W98

------------------
A friend of mine is having trouble with a vintage CD and wonders if there
are word of wisdom from the group.  I know that it MACs righ all the way to
system 8.1, but my friend's employer is now a PC shop, and her problem
occurs with Windows 98.  Here is what she says.

TBob

CD-ROM: Video Linguist French. For Macs and PC.  System requirements for
PC - ambiguous: in the World of Reading Catalog (from whom I bought it),
Win 3.1+.  In fine print on the CD itself:  Win3.1 Enhanced.  But it loads
fine under Win 95.  Refuses to install under Win98: normal installation
time should be about 5 minutes, but it zips through under Win98 in less
than 1 min, without any error messages.  Installs a directory which is
empty.  When the directory is clicked on, error message reads: QTV not in
path.  Note:  QTV 1.1 is included in the software.  Since Win98 comes with
a later version of QTV, there may be a clash there?  All this is weird
since Win98 is supposedly downward compatible.  The publishers are Cubic
Media and they have a web site: http://www.cubicmedia.com.  But it seems
to be in Korean and some other Asian language even though their US site is
in Pennsylvania.  The technical support number given in the documentation
is busy at all times of day... although of course, I can only phone so
many times.

Robert D. Peckham
Director, the Globe-Gate Project
University of Tennessee-Martin