LLTI Archives

June 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:45:08 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:53:59 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: technology worker shortage? (TBob)

How important is technology to the enterprise of American Education and to
the enterprises which hire our students?  We know that during a period
between 1990 and 1996, 5% fewer high-tech degrees were granted by US
universities than in the same-length period before. Only 50% of our
current high tech degrees are granted to American citizens. I believe also
that we have raised the annual cap on "H1-B" work visas, and I believe
that 45 percent of the visas go to workers in computer-related fields.

There is an interesting article in this week's Chronicle of Higher
Edication: Florence Olsen, "Report on Supply of Technology Workers
Includes Recommendations for Colleges," CHE XLV 41 (June 18, 1999): A29.
The article is a summary of several reports, but the focus is on one which
is Available through the Association of Computing Research (by writing to
them...).  What the author does not tell you as that the report is
directly available through the association's web site:

Association of Computing Research
http://www.acr.org

Those of you who are lucky enough to be working in positions where train
faculty to use technology and help students to learn something through the
use of technology, are very important people.

Now if you feel that your institution could use another technologically
enabled person (though I still can't program java), then consider hiring
me...cause I'm looking.

TBob

Bob Peckham
Director, The Globe-Gate Project