LLTI Archives

June 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:39:52 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from jerry bicknell <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On Thu, 27 May 1999 David Pankratz wrote:

>Wow. I can imagine that many potential applicants might be intimidated
>by the quite diverse level of  "expertise" required in all of the
>computer platforms and applications listed. Many of the people I know
>who are successful in this field came from a foreign
>language/linguistics/language pedagogy background, and they have
>learned technology--including computer technology--as they go.

You're not alone in your astonishment David. I too wonder if those posting
such ads aren't operating on the premise that the position announcement is
more a "wish list" than a job description, knowing they'll have to settle
for someone (human) who has obvious areas of strength and weakness.

Just who writes these announcements anyway?

Jerry Bicknell
Master of some (limited) trades,
but definitely NOT Jack of all.

Consultant/Doctoral Student in Instructional Technology
Teaching and Learning Technologies Center
West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV  26506-6122
E-mail: [log in to unmask]       FAX: (304) 293 7388      icq # 12569916