LLTI Archives

June 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:33:41 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Margo Burns <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 09:31:46 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Margo Burns <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4966 OmniPage 8

------------------
Hi, LLTI-Editor!

On 4/13/99, Tamra <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Has anyone out there installed FL dictionaries that run with OmniPage Pro8
>to spell check scanned documents?  Any feedback you'd like to share?

Yes, in French, German, and Spanish -- and I like it.  I've been using
OmniPage in various versions for the past six years, and this is definitely
the best yet.  Recently I even had the need to scan something in Dutch, and
I think it worked very well for someone who doesn't know any Dutch at all
and didn't have anyone at hand who could have done any proofreading in that
language.  Switching languages for proofing is very easy -- just select a
pop-up menu item.  Of course, the better the quality of the original text
being scanned, the more acurate the OCR, but I've been impressed with
OmniPage 8's improved performance with lower-quality originals over earlier
versions of the program.  Clean-up is quick and easy: when OmniPage 8
questions a word, it shows you the actual image of what it scanned for
comparison.   It also is smart enough to put a word back together which has
been hyphenated in half to wrap around a line.   High marks all around.

Margo

Margo Burns       603-229-4666     [log in to unmask]      http://www.sps.edu
     Director of The Language Center, St. Paul's School, Concord, NH