LLTI Archives

June 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:40:19 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Amy Burns Short" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Amy Burns Short" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Technology/professional development in ITA training
>Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 14:39:20 EDT

------------------
Greetings,

Hope all goes well. I have some questions to pose.

I am compiling information for a follow-up article about international
teaching assistants for the July/August issue of American Language
Review. For this second part, I have been writing to and talking with a
variety of people about curricular and co-curricular institutional
efforts focusing on acculturation of ITAs. This might include, but is
certainly not limited to, the following areas:

** Using technology to enhance ITA training.

** Providing increasing professional development opportunities for ITAs.

** Using a variety of perspectives to rate ITA performance.

** Including ITAs in the multicultural mission of universities.

Should you, your colleagues, or any ITAs you work/have worked with be
interested in sharing thoughts, expertise, and comments with regard to
these queries, it would be most appreciated -- not to mention very
interesting to see what various institutions are doing or planning to
do.

For teachers, trainers, administrators:

What programs, practices and/or projects have been useful at your
institution in preparing international teaching assistants for classroom
interaction (as an instructor) with mostly American students? How have these
efforts helped to acculturate and/or integrate the ITAs/future ITAs into the
cultures of American academia and/or American life? What, in your opinion,
are future trends in this type of preparation/training at yourinstitution?

For international TAs:

What programs, practices and/or projects have been  useful at your
institution in preparing you for classroom interaction (as an
instructor) with undergraduate students? How have these efforts helped
to acculturate and/or integrate you into the cultures of American
academia and/or American life? What are some of the experiences you have had
(good or not so good)? What advice could you give to new
international TAs, generally?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Amy Short

Amy Burns Short
Director of Graduate Student Teaching Programs
North Carolina State University
The Graduate School
Campus Box 7102
Raleigh, NC 27695-7102