LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 16:47:15 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 01:15:01 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: "ZB" web server

We have an odd situation here at UTMartin...or maybe it is not so odd.
Our faculty multimedia center server, which has a number of my sites (I
have nothing to do with this set-up), uses a "ZB" server, running on a PC
work station using Windows (I cannot recall if it is '95, '98 or NT). The
machine is not backed by a UPS. The Novell file server, working in tandem
with the ZB is on a dedicated machine in the computer center, with a
back-up power supply. We have had at leadt one web crash every 10 days for
the last 6 months.  They installed a new version of ZB and now the crashes
are every 3 days (2 in the last 24 hours).

Is there something bisically wrong with the situation I have described.
Should we use a dedicated machine, and shouldn't we try to have the file
server and web server on the same machine?  Even though I don't have the
brains to keep our MkLinux on a 7600 PM going, now that David Gatwood has
gone (graduate school), we are up for stretches of as long as 139 days.
We run MkLinuz and Apache on the same dedicated machine.

If I am right about the situation in the faculty multimedia center, how
would you suggest I go about persuading people to do the right thing?

Anyone have a suggestion how I can get a job where I will take all the
heat?

Bob Peckham
Director, The Globe-Gate Project
Dept. of Modern Foreign Languages