LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 15:11:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:29:55 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5023.4  Internationalizing the university through technology (!)

------------------
I work at the University of Rhode Island and our language program is
limited in scope relative to other institutions.

>>-Is international television programming paid for and provided on
>>an institution-wide basis (ranging from dormitories to classrooms)?
I have found extreme interest in getting SCOLA put on campus cable, but so
far no one is willing to fund this.

>>-Does your institution support wordprocessing in foreign languages
>>campus-wide, particularly in languages using non-Latin script?
Yes, for languages in Latin script.  Non-Latin script languages are only
supported in the Language Lab.

>>-Is encoding in foreign languages provided on all web browers campus-wide?
No

>>-Does your institution support email in foreign languages?
Yes and no.  Some profs have it and support is provided on an ad-hoc basis
(if one of the techs knows, they will help.  If they don't know they will
try to trouble-shoot as much as possible.)

>>-Do international faculty and faculty working in international
>>fields have adequate resources to support their wordprocessing, web-browsing
>>and email needs in their offices?
Anecdotally, I would say yes, but I don't know all the international
faculty across the campus.

>>-Do faculty have adequate access to international resources in
>>support of their research where technology is needed to access them?
Yes.

>>-Does the language lab at your institution have ties and activities that
>>reach beyond serving language courses?  In what ways does the lab support
>>an international education curriculum or other goals related to fostering
>>an international environment in your institution?
The Language Lab supports many multi-cultural activities at the
Multi-cultural Center on Campus (by providing the technology or technology
assistance).  We also support the International Engineering Program (with
software and technology support), the summer abroad programs (web support),
international exchange programs (web and technology support), the German
Summer School of the Atlantic (software and technology support), and keep
EFL resources for international students not enrolled in any English
classes (independent study)

>>-In what ways has technology been used in in general in your
>>institution to create and foster an international environment within your
>>institution?
I don't see technology used toward this end (at this time anyway).

Mary Fetherston
Interim Supervisor, Language Lab
University of Rhode Island
60 Upper College Road, Suite 3
Kingston, RI 02881
401-874-4719, fax 401-874-4694
email: [log in to unmask] (but the old ones will still work!)