LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 15:44:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 13:06:09 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5023  Internationalizing the university through technology

ASKED LAST MONTH ABOUT WHAT KINDS OF INT. TV SHOULD BE AVAILABLE IN
ONE HOUSING COMPLEX MAINLY USED BY INT. STUDENTS [THEY WANTED CRICKET
MATCHES!].  I ASKED THAT INT. CH. BE AVAILABLE TO WHOLE CABLE SYSTEM.

> -Does your institution support wordprocessing in foreign languages
> campus-wide, particularly in languages using non-Latin script?

OUR UNIV., DESPITE HAVING A MULTIDIVERSE POPULATION DOES NOT.  I AM
STARTING TO HOST SUCH IN MY CENTER AND WILL THEN PUSH TO HAVE THIS
AVAILABLE IN ALL STUDENT COMPUTING SITES.

> -Is encoding in foreign languages provided on all web browers campus-wide?

NO. AND WILL NOT BE UNLESS I PUSH FOR IT!

> -Does your institution support email in foreign languages?

THE UNIV. USES LOTUS NOTES AND HOPES INT. KEYBOARD LAYOUTS AND ENGLISH
AS AN INT. LANGUAGE WILL TAKE CARE OF THIS.

> -Do international faculty and faculty working in international fields have
> adequate resources to support their wordprocessing, web-browsing and email
> needs in their offices?

THIS IS MUCH BETTER.  FOR THE MOST PART THERE IS ADEQUATE RESOURCES FOR
FACULTY.

> -Do faculty have adequate access to international resources in support of
> their research where technology is needed to access them?

YES.

> -Does the language lab at your institution have ties and activities that
> reach beyond serving language courses?  In what ways does the lab support
> an international education curriculum or other goals related to fostering
> an internaional environment in your institution?

YES.  I AM TRYING TO PLAY A PIVOTAL ROLE IN OUTREACH IN THIS AREA.

> -In what ways has technology been used in in general in your institution to
> create and foster an international environment within your institution?

NOT MUCH.  IN FACT I AM HAVING TO FIGHT FOR ALL OF THE ABOVE.