LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 15:10:56 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bruno Browning <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:22:17 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Bruno Browning <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5033 LINUX Question
>To: [log in to unmask]

------------------
We've been using Linux as a webserver and light-duty file server for
both PC's (via samba) and Macs (via netatalk) for some time with good
result. The results have been positive enough (and our experience with
NT poor enough) that we are currently considering switching one of our
NT servers to Linux.

Any of the major distributions should do the job. If accessing Novell
server resources from the Linux box is a consideration, that might be an
edge to Caldera. Most of our Linux boxes run RedHat.

I haven't seen much in the way of educational software yet for Linux,
and while WordPerfect and Netscape are nice, I think Linux has another
six months or a year to go before UIs suitable to Joe User will be
available. So Windows or Mac OS on the desktop machines probably
still makes more sense than Linux. But as a server, I think it's ready
now.

bb

--
                                                   Bruno
Bruno Browning; 287B Van Hise Hall; Madison Wisconsin 53706; (608 263-5001)