LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 15:11:00 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 14:25:20 -0500
>From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: #5032 Position Announcement (Re-Posting) -Reply

At the risk of going out on a rather long limb here, my curiosity is
seriously aroused about the qualifications required for this position
versus the likelihood that there are people out there with those
qualifications who are looking for work.

While reading through the expectations, I was thinking how ambitious
and challenging this position would be (knowledge of language
pedagogy, advising faculty, conducting technical workshops, installing
software, program evaluation, etc.), and then I got to this part:

"...[the applicant] will also be familiar with emerging instructional
technology on both Mac and DOS/Windows platforms. Expertise in low to
high level authoring systems (e.g. Macromedia's Authorware and
Director programs, X-Media Engine Templates, Libra or SuperMacLang) as
well as a good grasp on web-development (HTML, Javascript, knowledge
of common editors like PageMill, Netscape Composer, or Claris Home
Page) is expected."

Wow. I can imagine that many potential applicants might be intimidated
by the quite diverse level of  "expertise" required in all of the
computer platforms and applications listed. Many of the people I know
who are successful in this field came from a foreign
language/linguistics/language pedagogy background, and they have
learned technology--including computer technology--as they go. I
wonder if a substantial change is taking place. Is the "profession"
expecting such a high level of technical expertise for a position that
may not even be permanent?

Just some thoughts--and not meant to be critical, merely inquisitive.
The work sounds fascinating, but I am wondering how others who read
this list react to this position announcement.  (Am I the only one who
is feeling like maybe I should sign up for a Memorial Day Weekend Java
course?...)

David Pankratz
Loyola University Chicago