LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 15:44:05 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from LeeAnn Stone <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 11:17:17 -0700 (PDT)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum              <[log in to unmask]>
>From: LeeAnn Stone <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: #5023  Internationalizing the university through technology
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

------------------
Hi Rachel,

        I hope you'll summarize to the list--- I'd be interested in your
results.

LeeAnn Stone

My answers pertain to UC Irvine:

>-Is international television programming paid for and provided on
>an institution-wide basis (ranging from dormitories to classrooms)?
NO

>-Does your institution support wordprocessing in foreign languages
>campus-wide, particularly in languages using non-Latin script?
NO

>-Is encoding in foreign languages provided on all web browers =
>campus-wide?
NO

>-Does your institution support email in foreign languages?
NO

>-Do international faculty and faculty working in international
>fields have adequate resources to support their wordprocessing, web-browsing
>and email needs in their offices?
I WOULD GUESS THEY DO, AND THAT SUPPORT WOULD BE PROVIDED
ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS BY WHOEVER THE SUPPORT IS FOR THEIR
GIVEN SCHOOL (IE ENGINEERING, HUMANITIES, ETC.)

>-Do faculty have adequate access to international resources in
>support of their research where technology is needed to access them?
HMMMM....I NEED TO GET MORE INFO FROM YOU ON THIS QUESTION.

>-Does the language lab at your institution have ties and activities that
>reach beyond serving language courses?  In what ways does the lab support
>an international education curriculum or other goals related to fostering
>an internaional environment in your institution?
SOME. WP AND INTERNET ACCESS IN ALMOST ALL THE LANGUAGES
TAUGHT. INTERNATIONAL TV PROGRAMMING HAS BEEN AVAILABLE
IN THE PAST WITH LITTLE UTILIZATION. WILL BE ADDED IN NEXT
FEW MONTHS AGAIN IN RESPONSE TO DEPARTMENTAL REQUEST.
NON-PROGRAM REQUESTED SOFTWARE FOR VARIOUS LANGUAGES.

>-In what ways has technology been used in in general in your
>institution to create and foster an international environment within your
>institution?
TECHNOLOGY ISN'T USED MUCH FOR THIS PURPOSE. LOTS OF OTHER
ACTIVITIES TARGETTED TOWARDS THIS END, PARTICULARLY OUT OF
STUDENT SERVICES, THE CROSS CULTURAL CENTER, AND THE OFFICE
OF EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND DIVERSITY.