LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 16:13:35 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Cindy Evans <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 15:50:12 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Cindy Evans <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: BYU exam scoring

We have administered the BYU exams at the beginning and end of each
semester this year to elementary and intermediate classes with the aim of
establishing benchmark scores for placement.  Even with one year's data, we
are having trouble setting the benchmarks, as our scores are evenly spread
over a wide range.  I have a feeling that this may have something to do
with the fact that the exam didn't "count" in any way.

I'd like to hear from others who are using the BYU exams.  How did you
establish your benchmark scores?  If you're willing to share the
information, I'd be interested to know what score ranges you use for
different levels.

Thanks for any advice.

Cindy Evans, Director
Foreign Language Resource Center        [log in to unmask]
and Lecturer in French                  phone:  518-580-5205
Skidmore College                        fax:    518-580-5230