LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 09:11:22 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 09:17:01 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Audio Equipment servicing

audio eqpt service got marked as #5004 (ADVTSG) 26 position SONY9000...)

Our equipment repairs are for the most part handled in-house.  It is
a wonderful arrangement for labs which have a lot of equipment, a lot
of old equipment or those which can't function when critical pieces
of equipment are out for repair.

In addition to electronic repair, our repair guy oversees routine
maintenance, parts stocking & annual overhauls of the lab. He also
does our audio studio recordings, remote record jobs and any
remastering work requiring audio processing.

Routine maintenance (weekly cleaning & function checks) can be done
by student staff. At this lab, each student is assigned a section of
the lab (including portable eqpt and classroom eqpt and computer labs)
to check every week.

In the long run, supporting a staff person is probably more expensive
in terms of salary outlay but the hidden costs of down equipment
are difficult to assess and a burden to all affected.  I like
the arrangement we have.

bruce

Bruce Parkhurst, Director
Geddes Language Center