LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 09:12:30 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:23:11 -0400
>Subject: Re: #5004 (ADVTSG) 26 position SONY-9000

------------------
J.S.
I too am curious about the arrangements of other labs...
Our arrangements are relatively simple.  We have an annual contract that
provides for one  thorough, general and preventive maintenance visit per
year.
We fix small stuff w/in local staff competencies.
Those small things we can't fix, we mail to our contractor to repair at
their  bench rate - much lower than field rates and with no travel
expenses.
 Anything major, eg. console failure too big to mail or  beyond our
fix-abilities etc. we pay for an emergency field visit.

Works well for us, and  has cost  far less than the old planning rubric of
needing to budget 10% of the purchase price/year for electronic much less
than the old budget rubric of  needing to budget 10% of the purchase
price/year for maintaining electronic equipment to keep 2 SONY 9000s and 50
recorders, etc. operating with excellent predictability.

Bill Caldwell
LRC, AU, DC

LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> on 05/13/99 04:44:55 PM

Please respond to Language Learning and Technology International
      Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>