LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 09:12:17 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:16:36 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5004 (ADVTSG) 26 position SONY-9000

------------------
We're not like most... we have our own in-house technician who handles 99% of all of our repairs (including AV equipment).  I consider that part of our personnel budget well worth it.  Too many labs get funded thinking only of equipment.  Often administrators forget it actually requires humans to run the lab, or to maintain it.

As I've talked with other lab people around the country, some have on-campus technical services they can contract with to handle their repairs.  Often a single individual is assigned to the lab so they get to know the lab system and can be more efficient.

Those who contract to the outside report varying degrees of success (from great success to little success).  There is an outfit in the Chicago area that can handle SONY repairs, but I just don't recall who it is.  I'll try to dig out the information.  Maybe we can hire out our technican for a week! <grin>

Good luck!

>>> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> 05/13/99 03:44PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Jenny Sheppard <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:10:11 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Jenny Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5004 (ADVTSG) 26 position SONY-9000

------------------
I am interested to know how most Lab managers deal with the issue of
repairs to audio equipment.  Do most Labs contract an independant service
to maintain and repair audio equipment, or does a staff member do this.  If
the maintenance of equipment is by an outside service, what is the service
arrangement?  Is the cost of this service much greater than the cost of
sending out individual pieces of equipment and of maintaining the equipment
oneself?
Also, if anyone is aware of a company that is capable of maintaining and
servicing audio equipment (on site) in the Chicago area for a reasonable
fee, please let me know.

Thank-you,
J. Sheppard
Language Labs and Archives