LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 13:13:30 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Lorraine Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Lorraine Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"  <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5023  Internationalizing the university through technology
>Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 10:39:17 -0400

------------------
See comments below:

        [Lorraine Williams]  Yes - SCOLA and a French speaking Canadian
channel go out over campus cable to all classrooms and dorm rooms.
> -Does your institution support wordprocessing in foreign languages
> campus-wide, particularly in languages using non-Latin script?
        [Lorraine Williams]  Yes, for all Latin-script languages it is
campus-wide, but for the lesser commonly taught languages it is only
available on certain machines (language lab)

>  -Is encoding in foreign languages provided on all web browers
> campus-wide? [Lorraine Williams]   yes
> -Does your institution support email in foreign languages?
        [Lorraine Williams]  yes for most of them - Japanese, Spanish,
French, German

>  -Do international faculty and faculty working in international fields
> have
> adequate resources to support their wordprocessing, web-browsing and email
> needs in their offices? [Lorraine Williams]    Yes, but this is a recent
> development - this past year.
> -Do faculty have adequate access to international resources in support of
> their research where technology is needed to access them? [Lorraine
> Williams]   Yes.
>
> -Does the language lab at your institution have ties and activities that
> reach beyond serving language courses?  In what ways does the lab support
> an international education curriculum or other goals related to fostering
> an internaional environment in your institution?
        [Lorraine Williams]  The LLRC here serves as an international
student community that has its own culture.  Students learning English (ESL)
and students learning foreign languages get together in the LLRC to begin
dialogues about other projects and issues beyond language learning. For
example, there is now an International club on campus.  Many of the students
in the club get together in the LLRC to plan events, such as dances,
cultural demonstrations, international dinners, etc.
>  -In what ways has technology been used in in general in your institution
> create and foster an international environment within your institution?
        [Lorraine Williams]  The web has been used to advertise
international programs.  Email "keypals" programs have been used to foster
intercultural communication in some classes.  Web page creation about
Japanese and Vermont culture have been part of special summer ESL classes.