LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 13:24:03 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 17:30:47 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5019 Portable LCD Projectors

------------------
We've had very good luck (and response from users) with the Infocus 700 series projectors.  We've been able to find demo units that made the SVGA models affordable.

We had a Proxima unit but weren't very happy with it.  But we suspect it was a lemon and the dealer we had to work with was less than helpful.

>>> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> 05/18/99 03:14PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Portable LCD Projectors
>Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 16:17:27 -0400

------------------

Hello Folks!

Is it acceptable to inquire about make, model and cost of equipment on this
listserv?  If so, read on and please submit to list.  If not, then please,
discard this message.

I would like user's experience / opinion / responses on their portable LCD
projectors.  I am collecting data on manufacturers and models in order to
become better informed before purchasing one or two.

I have a long list of manufacturers features and suggested pricing.  What I
need is criticism and or praise from users in the field.

We are planning to purchase a couple of LCD projectors to carry from class
to class and share with other instructors in our building.  We will team the
projector with a couple of different laptops to project slides, powerpoint
stuff, video from CD or hard drive, video from the Internet, file serve and
display from local Intranet server, demonstrate interactive web based
activities from faculty web design projects, etc.

In your experience, whose product is worth the money in the portable class?

Whose product is worth the money in the ultra portable class?

There are several manufacturers with an ultra portable model in the
$1,800.00 to $2,200.00 U.S. dollar range.  Who has used one?  Was it
suitable for the average classroom of 20 something head count?  Our rooms
are small, approx. 20 feet by 25 feet on the average.  Some are smaller. So
we don't need to throw the image very far and aren't looking for large wall
size movie theatre quality projection.  Just something in the small
chalkboard size or let's say 3' x 4.5' or larger.  We really are cozy,
cramped together little groups.

In the portable range, I am looking for something for $3,800.00 or less that
will still have long lamp life and adequate features.

We bought a couple of Proxima DP5800 projectors last year and REALLY like
them.  They seem to do just about anything without much hassle.  But, we
can't afford the price of a couple more this year.  That is why I am asking
about smaller models with less power and not so stellar features.  If I
could find two worth buying, dependable units for the price of one DP5800,
our instructors would finally have enough resources to take technology a few
steps further in the classroom and our budget officer would be very happy
indeed.

I would be glad to compile responses and submit the list to the group.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Tracy N. Dingess, Instructor
Interim-Director: C.A.L.L. Lab, WVU