LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 16:44:47 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Dennis Magnuson) ---

>Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 14:03:23 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (Dennis Magnuson)
>Subject: Lab configurations with mini-tower computers

Dear LLTI colleagues,

Here at Luther College we will be refurbishing our Lang Lrng Ctr, having
had our present configuration for 10 years.  We are considering 2 hexagonal
areas, with 6 computers (MAC mini-tower, not desktop models) on each one.
The concern we have is with the centering of the monitors and the placement
of the towers.  It seems that the units we have seen are designed only for
desktop models.  Placing the mini-tower next to the monitor results in
"off-centering" the monitor with respect to the chairs.

We would like to hear from others who have had to deal with mini-tower
units and how they solved the problem.  There is concern that putting them
on the floor under the hex-modules will inevitably cause problems with
disconnects, damage due to being hit accidentally by student users, etc.
And one of the hex-modules we have seen has a hex-shelf above, but the
aesthetics and utility of having to stretch tall to insert a CD-Rom or ZIP
disk are less than appealing!

Any advice, especially from others who have hex or octagonal modules, would
be much appreciated.

Gracias,

Dennis D. Magnuson
Assoc Prof of Span &