LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 17:26:09 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 16:51:43 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4988.3 summary of responses #4924 audio cassette distribution

------------------
We handle this a bit differently at UNCC, since many of our students work
and would prefer to listen to tapes somewhere other than on campus or at
times other than when the Language Resource Center is open.

Before the beginning of each semester, I buy a bunch of blank cassettes and
make multiple copies (50-500, depending on the course & the # of professors
requiring tape use) of the first lab manual tape for each language course.
I then take these to the bookstore, where they are stacked with the
language textbooks & sold to the students at cost (I have permission from
the publishers to do this, since we're not making any profit).

This arrangement has worked far better than anything we tried previously.
It has several advantages: students can buy the tapes anytime the bookstore
is open; no one in the LRC has to handle any money (we just get the check
from the bookstore); and in general, we don't have to spend a lot of time
in the LRC trying to duplicate 1000+ tapes in the first week or so of
classes (avoids a lot of stress for all concerned & frees up our time for
other activities, like orientations, etc).

The tape students buy in the bookstore usually contains the first two
chapters for their class, and so it gets them through at least the first
couple of weeks of the semester.  If they choose to use subsequent tapes in
the series, they come to the LRC to get those made (by the time they need
these, things have calmed down and we can handle this without straining our
staff/equipment).  They drop off a blank tape (that they've purchased
themselves) and we duplicate it for them, with guaranteed 24 hour
turnaround, although it's usually quicker than that.

Students get information sheets on this process as part of the LRC
orientation materials distributed at the beginning of each semester.

This system seems to have kept the students happy.  The only remaining
problem we have is with those who can't figure out the difference between
the textbook and the lab manual, but that's a different story.

Samantha

Samantha Earp
Director, Language Resource Center
Dept. of Languages and Culture Studies
University of North Carolina - Charlotte
Charlotte, NC  28223

phone: (704) 510-6876      fax:      (704) 547-3496
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]