LLTI Archives

May 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 16:06:46 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Sue Breeyear" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Sue Breeyear" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 08:56:05 -0400EDT
>Subject: Re: #4988 summary of responses #4924 audio cassette distribution

We make 11-15 copies of each lesson and keep them in tape
drawers here in the LRC.  Students sign in, ask for the appropriate
tape, and listen to it here in our audiolab.  Once they have listened
to the tape, if they wish to have a copy to take home, we charge
them $1.00 and make them wait while we make a copy on our high
speed duplicator.

The only times, other than these few, that we actually allow tapes
to go out of our resource center is when we have non-traditional
students who work and live off-campus. These students are
required to call ahead if they want tapes, and we will make up to
four or five tapes at a time for them to pick up.  Again, we charge
$1 a tape to cover the cost of the tape.  If they bring those tapes
back, we will erase them and copy the next four lessons onto them
without charge.

It's a cumbersome system, but it seems to work.  We used to
make tapes for each student on a rotating basis  (we'd make the
tape, the student would pick it up, the student would bring it back,
we'd erase and recopy the next lesson, etc.), but it got way out of
hand, so now the students are expected to do their work here.

Sue

Susan Breeyear, Language Resource Center Coordinator
200 Southwick Building
University of Vermont
Burlington, Vermont 05405

VOICE:802-656-7856