LLTI Archives

April 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:44:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:10:55 -0700
>Subject: Re: #4979 voice to text
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Have you considered voice recognition software on a laptop w/ a
microphone?  It will definitely not have 100% accuracy, but it could
cut down on the time it takes to create the notes/minutes, if the
person typing them up can recall the proceedings more accurately than
the software.  Dragon Software and others have been reviewed fairly
favorably, and are in the less than $100 range. (And likely discounted
less than that - I haven't checked prices.)

My friend used it for daily computing, as he was getting carpel tunnel
syndrome, and thought it worked fairly well.  He didn't mention how
many minutes he could ramble on, but I would imagine that would be
limited to the size of your hard drive.

Depending on the size of your group, you'd also need to get the right
type of microphone to pick up all the voices at a table. (And make sure
each person took their turn speaking).

-Jennifer Gee