LLTI Archives

April 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:36:18 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #4988 summary of responses #4924 audio cassette distribution
>Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:28:15 -0400

------------------
"Because of the space here, I donÍt think it will be feasible to set up the
fast copier in an accessible place so my student staff will be stuck with
the task of copying tapes for a while yet.

This of course brings up another question:  do you sell tapes to students
to make sure they have the right kind (quality, length, etc.) or do you
require them to bring their own?

Thanks again,
Beth

Beth Ohmer                      Language Learning Resources
[log in to unmask]               Lewis & Clark College
phone (503) 768-7419            0615 SW Palatine Hill Rd.
fax (503) 768-7434              Portland, OR  97219, USA"

Hello Beth,

Here at WVU's C.A.L.L. Lab we too are tight on space.  Though we have many
taped programs that coordinate with course texts, the heaviest user is our
Spanish department and our ESL program.

We copy tapes according to publisher permissions.  These vary from text to
text.  Mostly we copy large quantities in free time and trade students for
their blanks.  Yes, we require the students to bring in tapes in the proper
format for us to later copy and reissue.  We didn't want to deal with having
a cash stash on the premises.

Now that our mass duplicating equipment is ready to retire, we are
considering how to switch duplicating tasks to the students.  One suggestion
was to install inexpensive small duplicators in two or three locations in
the lab, which students would access, much as someone had suggested in your
note today.  We are still looking at options.

Tracy N. Dingess, Instructor
Interim-Director, C.A.L.L. Laboratory
West Virginia University