LLTI Archives

April 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:36:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Jackie M. Tanner" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:14:45 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Jackie M. Tanner" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: cih virus

This virus caught some of us by surprise; some of us were asked why we had
not put out some sort of "warning" or reminder or tips on how to avoid.
These questions open up lots of other questions about responsibility.
Whatever.  How did some of you handle this particular virus?

I'm sharing the following activities from
 Colby and hope the informtion may be helpful to someone.
 the ITS team used Tiramisu to recover most files, experiments
with directory recovery utilities like MBR32 were not fully successful.

Currently, to help students retrieve papers, we're following this
procedure:
starting up the machine with a windows 95 boot disk
        then using  Tiramisu to recover files
        The files are recoverd to a zip disk
        Then the zip disk is connected to a machine and
scanned   for viruses using norton ....it finds viruses and removes
them ,next we've burned CD's (pc format) since there are to many files
to fit on a floppy.
        The student then picks up the CD and is shown how to use it,
copying files to a floppy to revise/work with them.

Once we have all the documents retrieved then we will start working on
reformatting machines.    There may be some  problem machines that will take
longer but we hope to have most machines completed by tomorrow.