LLTI Archives

April 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:07:41 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Natalie Kubler <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:36:51 +0200
>From: Natalie Kubler <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #4978 Computer-based lang.labs

------------------

Original text:

1) Can anyone provide an estimate of the cost of a decent 20-station
computer-based language lab?
I have read the exchange on the Sony 9000/ Tandberg + Prisma solutions:
what kind of investment are talking about here?
2) I am currently investigating the possibility of going totally digital in
a lang lab environment (that is without the use of any analog audio source
or wiring), for all types of applications including voice (multipoint) but
excluding video (too heavy for ethernet). Does anyone know of existing
solutions?
Thanks in advance,
Marc Fryd
*Marc Fryd                                         *
*ChargÈ de mission pour les nouvelles technologies *
*UniversitÈ de Poitiers                            *

Hello,

I hope this will answer your questions, at least partly.

At the university of Paris 13, we spent 500 000 French Francs
for a 20-station-computer based language lab, plus a server.  Auditek
 provided us with the lab facilities, but we bought our computer
 somewhere else at a cheaper price.

It includes the possibility to "capture" sound and images from audio
 or video tapes and digitalizing them. We can also use audio or video
 files extracted from the Web, or even create our own files.

The lab is connected to the Internet. So work can be done either
with files that have been prepared by the teachers with the authoring tools
 provided by Auditek, or by accessing our Web site on which various
 learning activities are available. Of course, CD-ROMs can be used
without any trouble.

Natalie K$FCbler
MaÓtre de confÈrences
IUT de Villetaneuse - UniversitÈ de Paris-Nord