LLTI Archives

April 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:42:02 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:36:28 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: in a word: RINSE!

After considerable investment in time,opinion-polling and product testing,
we bought a new board for our classroom. We needed one suitable for
projection and writing. The one we have has a grooved surface, and the
erasers are actually nylon brushes. It works well for both writing and
projecting. But it ghosts.

(We told our faculty that this was primarily a projection surface that
could be written on. Not the best place to write full conjugations or
declensions. Well, we get an awful lot of declensions and conjugations
anyway. Why don't they do these on overheads?)

Several solutions have already been proposed, and I list the ones we have
found to work here, along with a significant emphasis:

1. Use only the markers specified for your board. Ours is a wall-talkers
board, and EXPO markers just don't erase well.

2. Get rid of black markers right away.

3. Clean the erasers! Ours are washed regularly with soap and water, and
RINSED WELL. (We can't find anyone willing to donate flannel pajamas! Maybe
Read could share some of Bruno's?)

4. Whatever you use to clean the board (we like Formula 409), if it is not
an alcohol and water mixture, then RINSE, RINSE, RINSE! The buildup of
cleaning stuff combines with marker buildup and makes a very gunky
substance. This makes baby wipes, while delightfull fragrant, probably not
the best choice.

PS: I LOVED Derek Roff's home center suggestion! I will buy a replacement
this weekend for one of our "cheapie" boards that got scratched!

Ursula Williams
Notre Dame