LLTI Archives

April 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:36:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Wohr <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:11:56 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: David Wohr <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4968 Erasing Whiteboards

------------------
Dan,

Mundane or not, ghosting on white boards is a real problem most of us face.
 My solution (no pun intended) is to use good ol'  rubbing alcohol.  Either
the 70% isopropyl or 70% ethyl plus acetone work fine - watch what you use
the acetone on, it can cloud plastics.  Put a spray pump in the pint
bottle, and let your instructors have at it.  It smells enough that they
won't use a lot, but it will exorcize the ghosts.

I hate to admit it, but I have used this to remove dry erase marker from
projection screens when instructors don't look and just start writing on
whatever may be on the wall behind them - hey, it's white...

If you haven't tried it, this also works on most ball point pen inks that
are used to draw on lab desktops in idle moments.

Regards,

Dave

PS - The 99% variety is also a great tape head cleaner.
        I'm such a wealth of cleaning information... - I've been at this too long.

At 04:50 PM 4/14/99 -0400, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date:  Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:40:28 -1000
>>From:  Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]>
>>To:    [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Erasing Whiteboards
>
>This may appear to be a rather mundane problem and certainly not very high
>tech.  However, it is a very real problem with our Japanese classes.  We
>have three media classrooms, all equipped with TV monitor, VCR, overhead
>projector, and taperecorder.  All are carpeted.  Due to all the media
>equipment, whiteboards were installed.  Two of these classrooms are used
>exclusively for Japanese classes.  The Japanese instructors are frequently
>writing kanji and often they have their students in pairs or in threes do
>kanji practice on the board.  Due to this heavy usage, the whiteboards
>have constant "ghosting" and "shadowing" from incomplete erasing or the
>eraser creating black smudges.  We have a supply of cleaner fluid, but it
>is very expensive and has a very strong smell and we cannot afford to
>place the bottle of fluid in the classroom to be used at the instructor's
>discretion.  It would probably be emptied in no time.  We have advised
>instructors to please erase immediately and not let the writing set on the
>board.  We have recommended using a damp cloth or paper towel to wipe the
>board as the marker ink is water soluble. Some Japanese instructors now
prefer
>to use a regular classroom with a chalkboard rather than deal with the
>ghosting of the whiteboard.  They would rather put up with the chalk dust!
>How have the rest of you dealt with this problem?  Does anyone have any
>suggestions on how to solve this?  Thank you.
>
>Daniel Tom
>Language Telecommunications, Resource & Learning Center
>University of Hawaii
>E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
>FAX:     808-956-5134
>Voice:   808-956-5118

David L. Wohr                                   [log in to unmask]
Director
Language Laboratory                     610-660-1837
Saint Joseph's University
5600 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA  19131-1395

"Wem Gott will rechte Gunst erweisen
 Den schickt er in die weite Welt."             Eichendorff