LLTI Archives

April 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:57:02 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Jorth, Cindy" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Jorth, Cindy" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"  <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #4920.3 Software inquiry
>Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:57:29 -0700

------------------
This is a reply to Charles' questions.

We've recently installed a 21 student station Tandberg lab here at CSU,
Chico after 3 years with no lab. The software included allows for student
audio monitoring, digital audio recording/playback and screen sharing
through the Sony ClassNet LAN system.  All other software or activities must
be created (or found) by faculty, as the Tandberg (and I'm sure the Sony)
systems simply provide a framework for lab use.  It is certainly does not
come close to "plug and play".

That being said, faculty here have begun adapting existing activities to be
used in conjunction with the lab.  There is a very long way to go, however,
to achieve complete, and pedagogically sound, use of the system.  Software
must be found, evaluated and purchased.  Templates for creation of online
materials must be refined and faculty must be trained in its use.  And,
interested faculty must learn different authoring software to create their
own interactive materials. This is a lot to ask of faculty, especially as
their course loads, committee work and publishing responsibilities already
demand a lot of time.

Cindy Jorth
Director, Multimedia Language Learning Center