LLTI Archives

April 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:41:32 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Lorraine Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Lorraine Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"  <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #4943  requirements in Lang
>Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:00:21 -0400

------------------
We have not done a study, but here at Saint Michael's College we encourage
faculty and staff to sign up for technology workshops offered throughout the
year.  These workshops are to learn to use database software, spreadsheet
software, email, web-page authoring, and presentation software.  Workshops
for using language learning software are offered as requested, as well.

In my department, Library Information Services, all employees are required
to increase technological skills through use of a competencies checklist
that is reviewed by each employee's supervisor yearly.  If there is a
competency that is not met, e.g., proficient in using Microsoft Excel, the
employee is asked to sign up for a workshop.  There is not a test of
ability, but we are strongly encouraged to know as much as possible about
many different aspects of technology.  This is specific to our department,
but many faculty members are feeling pressured from their own colleagues to
become more technologically "savvy".