LLTI Archives

March 1999, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:27:36 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
>--- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:31:58 -0600
>>From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Local fundraising
>
>I remember hearing some time ago that at least one lab director had
>initiated a fundraising program in which the idea was to inspire local
>businesses to donate small amounts of money to the language lab, say
>$1000-2000, enough to buy a computer, for instance. Have any of you
>tried anything like this? Were you successful? What would be on your
>short list of "do's" and "don'ts"?
>Thank you.
>
>David Pankratz
>Loyola University Chicago

I would suggest checking with your institution's development office first.
They usually have their own priorities for fundraising and sometimes don't
look kindly on "independent" attempts to mine local money sources for any
amount, especially if they're gearing up for a capital campaign (as they
frequently are).  In some places, as is the case here at UNCC, it is
expressly forbidden to seek outside money on your own.  Our dept chair
tried that when he was first took the position and got stomped on!

What I've done is to prepare a proposal for the development office that
they can (in theory) present to potential donors who might be interested in
giving some amount of money for language/technology purposes - for buying
equipment, funding an internship, etc. The problem for us is that language
is not a high institutional priority and so our proposal has not yet been
shown to anybody that we know of, although there are plenty of people in
the community with an interest in language.

Some faculty here have circumvented this & have been successful in raising
small amounts of money by informally talking to people they know in the
business community, who then offer "unsolicited" donations to the
department/program they want to support.

Good luck - I hope something works out!

Samantha

'Tis a pity.  There are loads of international companies here in Charlott

Samantha Earp
Director, Language Resource Center
Dept. of Foreign Languages
University of North Carolina - Charlotte
Charlotte, NC  28223

phone: (704) 510-6876      fax:      (704) 547-3496
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]