LLTI Archives

March 1999, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:09:59 EST
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:24:48 +0100
From: "Charles J. Wivell" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: #4941 COMPUTERS TO SONY 9000 A
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Your note is fortuitious and I hope it starts a thread on the subject of
integrating computers into the LL:  pros and cons of going for a modular
installation such as the newer SONY or TANDBERG vs.  putting it all
together oneself or at least continuing to use Macs as the machines on the
desktop .  I'm trying to find out more info about experiences various
institutions have had with the SONY and/or TANDBERG installations.

I'm especially interested in finding out about the software which S&T have
loaded:  how do the teachers/students feel about the range and adequacy of
the language teaching/learning materials?  How much is pre-loaded and how
much is the responsibility of faculty users/staff to find, test and load?
Not expecting total "plug-in and play" but certainly one should be able to
have some classes at least up and running from the beginning.

Charles Wivell
Language Center
Ithaca College