LLTI Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:18:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Violeta" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Violeta" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4910 request for help choosing language software
>Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 06:45:55 +0200

Dear Jon,

Following your request for help I am enclosing a list of CD-ROM titles
appropriate for studying foreign languages through an innovative approach
to learning called "multimedia language immersion". The CD-ROMs have been
designed and published by Syracuse Language Systems, Inc., 5790 Widewaters
Parkway, Syracuse, NY 13214-2845, USA, e-mail: [log in to unmask]
All the titles are commercially available. I have been using them  with
Bulgarian learners of English for 2 years.

a)      All-In-One, PC&Mac
27 word games that teach about 200 words and phrases
for developing listening and speaking skills
for beginning-elementary learners of English, German, French, Spanish
System requirements:
IBM-compatible computer
386 SX or higher microprocessor
Microsoft Win 3.1/Win 95
4 MB RAM
MPC-compliant CD-ROM drive and audio board
VGA monitor
Microsoft-compatible mouse
Headphones or speakers

b)      TriplePlayPlus! English
interactive games and conversations that teach over 1000 words and phrases
for developing listening, reading comprehension and speaking skills
speech recognition
for beginning-intermediate learners of Italian, German, Japanese, etc.
Advanced Speech Recognition hears and evaluates pronunciation and the
Record/Playback feature lets users compare themselves to actual native
speakers.
System requirements:
IBM-compatible computer
386 SX 25 or faster
Microsoft Win 3.1/Win 95
4 MB RAM
MPC-compliant CD-ROM drive
SVGA monitor, (640X480, with 256 colors)
MPC-compliant sound card
Microsoft-compatible mouse
Headphones or speakers

c)      Let's Talk Spanish/French/German/Italian
teaches about 2500 words for everyday situations
speech recognition
for developing listening, reading comprehension and speaking skills
for beginning-intermediate learners
Advanced Speech Recognition hears and evaluates pronunciation and the
Record/Playback feature lets users compare themselves to actual native
speakers.

System requirements:
IBM-compatible computer
486 DX 33 or better microprocessor
Microsoft Win 3.1/Win 95
8 MB RAM
13 MB hard disk space
CD-ROM drive
SVGA monitor, (640X480, with 256 colors)
16-bit sound card
Microsoft-compatible mouse
Headphones or speakers
Microphone

d)      English Your Way 2.0
interactive conversations that teach over 2300 words
speech recognition
for developing listening, reading comprehension and speaking skills
for intermediate-advanced learners of English
In realistic everyday situations learners converse with on-screen
characters, using the microphone included in the product. Topics include
meeting people, dining out, transportation, hotels and accommodations,
around town, visiting the doctor. Advanced Speech Recognition hears and
evaluates pronunciation and the Record/Playback feature lets users compare
themselves to actual English speakers.
System requirements:
IBM-compatible computer
486 DX 33 or faster microprocessor
Microsoft Win 3.1/Win 95 operating system
8 MB of RAM
16 MB of hard disk space
CD-ROM drive
SVGA 256-color display