LLTI Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:20:02 EST
--- Forwarded Message from SCOLA Staff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:57:10 -0600 (CST)
>From: SCOLA Staff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #4922 Problems with Scola's IRD?

------------------
Dear Margie,

The fact that you are seeing color bars at any time is a good indication
that your dish point or polarity may be off at your end.  The IRD
defaults to color bars when it does not see a signal.  Another
possibility may be defective LNB.  If you would like your technicians to
consult with SCOLA Engineers on how to point your dish, you may have
them call during normal business hours M-F or visit the technical
support section of our web site at www.scola.org.

An easy way to verify dish point is to connect an analog receiver in
place of your WEGENER IRD and fine tune to World Harvest Television on
transponder 15. A sparklie free picture on World Harvest usually results
in the proper operation of your WEGENER IRD.

Satellite Antennas are not a set and forget device, they can
be effected by such things as snow in the dish, wind, apmospheric
conditions, and even a slight change (as little as 1/16th of an inch) in
polarity can result in loss of signal.

Periodic maintenance of your system is a must, please notice the carrier
status light located on the front left of your WEGENER IRD. Does it vary
from a solid green light? Does it change to amber or red? If it does,
this would be another indication that something is not quite right.

Have you had any high winds in your area since your dish was installed?
If so there is a good chance it is not pointed in the same place that it was.

You could do preventive maintenance on your system by connecting an
analog receiver to your system thus allow movement of the dish and
adjustment of polarity. SCOLA will be happy to recommend satellite
dealers in your area that can sell you equipment and or service your system.
Please let us know if you would like this information.
Best Regards!

SCOLA
Dan Pike - Telecommunications Manager

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Margie - Language Center <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:58:31 -0600 (CST)
> >From: Margie - Language Center <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Problems with Scola's IRD?
> >To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Good morning! Is anyone else that subscribes to Scola having problems
> with the IRD? We get color bars almost consistently overnight, and often
> several times during the day. To rectify this, I unplug the IRD and
> replug it in another outlet. This is fine during the day, but I'm not here
> late at night or early in the morning, and we really need to record the
> French news for a class. If you've had or have this problem, how did
> you solve it?  Thanks!
>
> Margie Stoner
> Rhodes College
> Memphis TN

SCOLA Satellite Network  PO Box 619, McClelland, IA 51548-0619, U.S.A.
Phone: 1 (712) 566-2202  Fax: 1 (712) 566-2502
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]  Web-Site:  http://www.scola.org