LLTI Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:19:40 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:08:34 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re:  #4930 Equitable use of the new lab

Marta.

It's a math word problem. Calculate how many slots are available.
Divide the available slots by the # of classes wanting to use the new
facility. Give that number to the teachers. If they don't like it,
invite them to come up with a more workable solution.

Kidding aside, I often attempt to find out how a teacher intends
to use the lab. I often have asked faculty to split the use of a room
when there are competing interests. One goes one week, one the other.
Or one uses it M & F and the other on W only. It requires more time
to do a resourceful schedule; in my experience, most teachers will
appreciate the extra effort.

Rotating by semester can work, too, depending on how integral the use
of the lab is (or whatever technology is involved).

If the wish is for hands-on time for students, but hands-on isn't needed
during _every_ class period, perhaps a teacher would be satisfied with
a nearby classroom in which a single "presentation computer' with projector
is made available...

Being accommodating can also help draw users out... if teachers are
clamoring for the type of facilities you will offer, and are competing
heavily for avaiaable slots, this will provide good justification for
creating other such spaces. A far better strategy than being discouraging
and restrictive, IMHO.

... we'll talk...

bruce
Boston Univ

[snippet of...]

--- Forwarded Message from Marta Lehman <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:03:59 -0500 (EST)
>From: Marta Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Equitable use of the new lab

Dear LLTI folks:

I'm in the process of developing plans for our new language lab, and am
finding that many of the planning committee members are worried about each
department having equal access to the facility. Of course, each department
will want to schedulude their class at 11am.  [...]